You must be a Tax Filing Household in Wilkes-Barre City, living here currently, for the past 12 months and since March 13, 2020.
This program is made possible by Mayor Brown’s 9 Point Plan for the use of American Recovery Plan Act proceeds. The purpose of the Plan is to help combat the economic impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Wilkes-Barre City Stimulus Program Criteria includes:
One stimulus payment of $300 will be issued per income-eligible, tax-filing resident household.
A “Household” is everyone who lives in a single household unit regardless of relationship.
The residency requirement for the program requires residency in the City of Wilkes Barre since March 13, 2020 and currently.
Financial Eligibility is based on 2020 tax filing which verifies gross income at or below 80% of the 2020 AMI (see income chart below)
Tax filing household means someone in the household, a) filed their 2020 earned income taxes, b) had 2020 income tax withheld from their paychecks, or c) paid their 2020 Per Capita Tax.
|Household Size||Annual Income|
Frequently Asked Questions
- If you apply online or with a paper application, you will receive a response according to the dates listed below – either a check or a letter indicating your ineligibility.
- If you apply on or before March 15, eligibility determinations and checks will be mailed by April 15.
- If you between March 16 and April 15, eligibility determinations and checks will be mailed by May 15.
- If you applied between April 16 and June 10, eligibility determinations and checks will be mailed by June 30.
- Eligibility is based on gross, 2020 income
- Report your 2020 income before taxes or other deductions.
- If you receive Social Security and have deductions for Medicare, use the gross amount before deductions. This amount can be found on your annual benefits letter from 2020.
- If you have Pension distributions and pay income tax, report the amount before taxes.
- Even if you don’t file or pay taxes, you still get a tax bill from Berkheimer each year for a $10 per capita tax which you are required to pay to the city. If you paid this for 2020, you will receive a postcard in the mail with instructions on how to apply.
- If you and every member of your household are over 65, you may be exempt from the Per Capita tax and can apply here: https://tinyurl.com/wbapplication (in the line for the application number, write: “over 65” if you didn’t get a postcard)
- If you moved out of Wilkes Barre you are not eligible.
- If you moved into Wilkes-Barre and did not pay 2020 income tax in the City, you are not eligible.
- If you had your mailed forwarded, you will receive the check or postcard.
- If you did not have your mail forwarded or if the forwarding time expired, but you still live in the City of Wilkes-Barre, then you should click the “Check Eligibility & Apply” button and answer the question about your source of income in 2020 to get to the correct form.
- Checks will be issued to the highest earning tax-payer in the household at the address on file for the individuals named in the 2020 tax filing(s).
- Even if you filed taxes separately, if you lived in the same household (apartment or unit), you will receive one check for the household.
- We will not be re-issuing additional payments for household members that no longer live together.
- If you are unsure if a payment was issued to a member of your 2020 household, you can complete the either the Tax Payer Verification form or the Application, depending on your source of income in 2020. Click the Check Eligibility and Apply link at the top of the page.
- Paper applications made available at City Hall. Online application is encouraged as processing is faster.
- Click the “Check Eligibility & Apply” button
- Answer the question about your source of income in 2020 to get to the correct form.
- Review the eligibility guidelines on this website to verify you are eligible.
- Wait until February 15th, go to our website and complete the Tax Payer Verification form.
- No this is only for households in the City of Wilkes-Barre only.
- Wilkes-Barre’s earned income tax may count income differently than the IRS. There is no equivalent line on the IRS form 1040.
- Find your Wilkes-Barre city earned income tax form from 2020 and refer to line 4 for your total earned income. If you filed online, you can visit Berkheimer’s website and log-in to find your forms. https://cp-efile.hab-inc.com/individual/
- Write “Not at this address, return to sender” or “deceased, return to sender” as appropriate and put it back in your mailbox for the postal service to return.
- You may not receive a payment or postcard invitation to apply due to the check issued to the former resident. Please review the eligibility guidelines on this website and if you believe you are eligible, click the “Check Eligibility & Apply” button. Answer the question about your source of income in 2020 to get to the correct form.